Friday, February 24, 2006

Brain Dead

I've worked all day, adding stuff to my list/outline, moving stuff around, and one by one clearing the cards off my desk. They aren't all gone by a long shot, but many of them are, and I now have 14 1/4 pages of outline. When I was finished, I could hardly make my brain work at all, except to reflect that what I had seemed a confused and horrible mess with a daunting amount of work yet to be done. So I made some tea and ate some cake, and it dawned on me that when I began this part of the process, I was only requiring that I make a list of what was on my cards. And now, somewhere along the way, that list has morphed into outline. Not an official outline, not a necessarily coherent outline, nor even an efficient one (with everything-but-the-kitchen-sink thrown in), but still, it has become more outline than list. And that is cause for celebration. Yes, there's much left to do, but that is another day's work. So for now, I rejoice.

Also, thanks to those of you who commented on the proposed title change. I used your input and some of your comments in the email I sent my editor this morning, and he said we've given him some excellent ammunition for another round of discussions with the team.

Grace and peace,
Karen