Saturday, July 29, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean

We saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest last night. Major disappointment for me, and my hubby fell asleep in the middle of it. Everything that was fun and cool about the first one was missing from this one. I'm not a big fan of Johnny Depp, nor of Jack Sparrow, but he was even creepier and weirder in this one than in the first. And the plot...too many threads. The stuff that was supposed to be funny was just stupid, and the delightful fencing matches from the first were replaced with ridiculous, bizarre stunts that marginally involved the swinging of swords. I felt as if the stunt choreographers were trying to come up with something really weird and crazy, maybe even funny, and should have stuck to the story. In fact, that whole side thing with the cannibals -- what was up with that? It seemed more like an excuse for weird stunts than anything that really related to the plotline.

The barnacle men, or whatever they were that were supposed to be Davy Jones's crew got old fast, and I do think that the primary visual I'm going to remember from this movie are those octopus tentacles that were Davy Jones's ... face? Beard? Which were rather cool in a creepy sort of way. Oh, and I wasn't too wild about the voodoo swamp lady, either, not least because I could hardly understand a word she said. We saw it in the theatre because we didn't see the last one in the theatre and thought it would have been fun. Also, from the trailers it seemed that this one's special effects would be more impressive on the big screen. Maybe. Yawn... If I knew what I know now, I'd wait for it to come out on DVD.

And with Superman Returns having also been a disappointment, looks like the summer movie season so far is a wash.

Karen