Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's Gone!

The cast is off! My arm is skinny, wrinkled, the skin feels hypersensitive, I have three dimpled scars from the pins and VERY limited mobility. Dr. Meaney gave me a prescription for a wrist brace and a referral to a physical therapist. I got the brace, went home, called the therapy place, and it turned out they had an opening in 2 hours. So I took it, and 3 hours later I completed my first session. I have a long way to go in regaining my range of motion.

Typing is ironically pretty easy for it; it's my right hand that's having trouble now, seeing as I overdid yesterday with trying to wash all the coats in the coat closet combined with working too much on the computer. I'm going to have to get that headset I think, because the computer has too much trouble understanding what I dictate through the desk microphone. And since the carpal tunnel in my right wrist seems to be an ongoing problem it looks like I'm going to have to get serious about this speech recognition program.

My assignment for now is is a quartet of exercises I'm to do three times a day until my next appointment with the therapist. There's also a period of warming the arm before the exercises and then icing it afterward. Which means the whole operation is probably going to take up a good bit of time. Oh well, I'm getting used to that by now.

Mostly I'm just thrilled to have the cast off.

Grace,
Karen