Thursday, September 13, 2007

Speech Recognition

Well a number of people have told me I should try using speech recognition and since I have a program already on my computer, I thought I'd give it a try. It comes automatically with Vista so I didn't have to buy it or install it, all I had to do was go through the tutorial to learn how to use it. I'm using it now. It makes me talk more slowly than I'd like to, so I'm not sure how well it will work for writing fiction, but I'm going to give it a try.

When I first started I was so excited I started laughing and the computer didn't know what I was saying. There's a little box at the top telling me it's listening and if it doesn't understand it asks me "What was that?" So while I'm laughing, it's asking me that and meanwhile typing "up up up up up up" and something about "losing she got offer but up up up up up up up up up up up up up". Which only made me laugh more. At least if I get totally lost I can just use the mouse, but I think this is really going to help take the load off my hands.

Already I've written an e-mail and this blog post and plan to try some more e-mails and maybe even Chapter Nine tonight. What I really should try is a nonstop but I fear I would talk way too fast and mumble way too much to produce anything coherent.

Next is to see if I can get this inserted into the Blogger program (just now when I said Blogger, the computer thought I wanted to "save water"). I guess you'll have found out by the time you read this if I succeeded.

Grace,
Karen