Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Why I Won't Be Watching The Da Vinci Code

After several incidents of flatly declaring I would not waste my time watching -- or, heaven forbid, reading -- The Da Vinci Code over the weekend, I decided I should offer a more substantive reason than to comment with great force and conviction on its worthlessness and evil intent. So here it is:

Why in the world would I want to spend two and a half hours of my time watching a movie whose primary purpose is to discredit and misrepresent my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, His word and His work on the Cross? How could that possibly be entertaining?

For me, it could not be. Aren't I curious? No. Don't I need to watch it to know what it's about so I can answer the questions of those who might be seeking or confused? I think not. Better to know the truth of what the word of God says. Better to spend my time reviewing the reasons I believe the Word of God to be the word of God, inerrant in its original languages and the source of all truth. Better to spend my time mastering the doctrines of the Cross and the Hypostatic Union and why Jesus fathering a child with Mary Magdalene would be completely out of the Father's plan for His life. Better to become well versed on the concepts of the angelic conflict and how the devil deceives the whole world.

Because that, in a nutshell, is what I believe The Da Vinci Code to be: a repugnant deception and the devil's answer to the success of The Passion of the Christ.