Friday, May 12, 2006

Friday Night at the Movies

Nearly every Friday night we rent a movie. We've been doing it for so many years it's a tradition even the dog has bought into (he expects either a chew or to be able to find treats hidden about the house while we watch.) This week, we rented Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley. "A chick flick" my husband said, right about the time the two girls were giggling in bed about the men at the ball.

We both enjoyed it, though. I liked the story, loved the language and the English countryside and the romance. And the piano playing. It was funny the way various people kept asking to talk to someone privately and everyone else would be herded out of the room, only to be found just outside it later, clustered around with ears at the door. I think I might like the book even better, because I'd like to know more about the background and the characters than I was able to pull out of the movie. And I've always loved the complicated syntax and vocabulary of those older books.

Happy Weekend
Karen