Thursday, September 07, 2006

Happen vs Have Happen

Finished chapter 11 today.

Sometimes during the writing of the first draft you don't always know the things you want to happen in your story and the things you want to have happened, the things you can just mention as happening, versus the things you have to show. Not surprisingly then, I tend to have a lot of things happening that I only want to have happened in my first drafts. Which means I'm cutting a lot of those kinds of things and slowly pulling out the central elements that I want to actually show, and then developing those in greater depth and detail. I'm feeling fairly decent about it all today. This is the part I like -- where the Lord seems to be pulling the waters away from the dry land and at last the true story starts to appear!

On to chapter 13 tomorrow.
Karen